- 33% of working age women, compared to 25% of working age men, faced medical bills that caused them to take out a mortgage on their home or take on credit card debt.
Losing Ground: Unwarranted Credit Checks Create Barriers to Employment for Women
- 62% of personal bankruptcies were linked to medical expenses (80% of those had health insurance). More than half of those bankruptcies were filed by women-headed households.
Seeing Red: The Growing Burden of Medical Bills and Debt Faced by U.S. Families
- Overall, 20% of consumers disputed errors and had modifications made to at least one credit report. In many cases, the change to the credit report had no effect on credit score; 13% of consumers experienced a change in score due to their dispute.
Federal Trade Commission – Accuracy of Information in Credit Reports
- Three U.S. credit reporting agencies account for 96% of consumer complaints. (Transunion, Equifax, Experian)
U.S. PIRG – Big Credit Bureaus, Big Mistakes
Eliminate credit checks for public and/or private sector jobs
- Eliminate credit checks for jobs based on job category and/or pay
- Eliminate credit checks until after the first interview.
- Eliminate credit checks until a conditional job offer is made
Business Insider – No, Your Employer Can’t Check Your Credit Score — But Here’s What It Can See
Huffington Post – Pre-Employment Credit Checks Hurt Those ‘Just Trying To Survive’
CNN – No more credit checks for NYC job seekers
NYC Council Votes to Ban Employers from Conducting Credit Checks
San Francisco Gate – 6 myths about employer credit checks
Bloomberg – States Move to Ban Credit Screening for Job Applicants
The Color of Debt: How Collection Suits Squeeze Black Neighborhoods
Demos – Discredited Employment Checks Keep Qualified Workers Out of a Job
Demos – Congress, States, & Cities Need to Act on Employment Credit Checks
Demos – Poor Credit is Linked to Unemployment, Lack of Health Care Coverage and Medical Debt
Demos – Crediting Reporting Errors are Commonly Cited as a Contributor to Poor Credit
Demos – How Employment Credit Checks Keep Qualified Workers Out of a Job
Alternet – The Huge Racial Injustice Hidden in Our Credit Scores
Salon – Your credit score affects everything from job offers to home loans — and the way it’s calculated is deeply flawed
CFPB Takes Action Against Two of the Largest Employment Background Screening Report Providers for Serious Inaccuracies
Texas H.B. 449 – Relates to a limitation on the use by state agencies of credit information regarding certain job applicants.
National Partnership for Women and Families – Losing Ground: Unwarranted Credit Checks Create Barriers to Employment for Women
Section 319 of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003: Fifth Interim Federal Trade Commission Report to Congress Concerning the Accuracy of Information in Credit Reports
National Law Review – Illinois Employers Can No Longer Use Credit Checks in Employment Decisions Under Most Circumstances
Washington Post – In New York, good riddance to a questionable hiring practice
Washington Post – How the careless errors of credit reporting agencies are ruining people’s lives
Colorado Becomes Latest State to Restrict Use of Credit Checks for Employment Purposes
Federal Trade Commission – In FTC Study, Five Percent of Consumers Had Errors on Their Credit Reports That Could Result in Less Favorable Terms for Loans
U.S. PIRG – Mistakes Do Happen: A Look at Errors in Consumer Credit Reports
The Bay State Banner – City councilors file to ban employment credit checks
Consumers Union – “Big 3” Credit Bureaus Settle With 31 States Over Credit Reporting Mistakes
The Week – How to fix credit scoring