- The federal 287g program does not pay for implementation, training, administrative, over-time or liability costs. This ultimately leaves county taxpayers on the hook for all administrative, over-time and potential lawsuits.
- Prince William County, Va., had to raise property taxes and take from its “rainy day” fund to implement its 287(g) program. The county report found that it would cost taxpayers roughly $26 million over 5 years.
- It cost roughly $5 million annually for some counties in North Carolina to maintain their 287g program
- Before DHS revoked its 287(g) agreement with Maricopa County, Ariz., a series of articles in the East Valley Tribune found that Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office created a $1.3 million deficit in just three months, much of it due to overtime.
- Close sales tax loopholes and give a portion of the proceeds to counties to cover implementation and training
- Close property tax loopholes so that counties are able to collect revenue to cover program costs
- Create a state public bank to finance a portion of the costs
Delegation of Immigration Authority Section 287(g) Immigration and Nationality Act
The 287(g) Program: A Flawed and Obsolete Method of Immigration Enforcement
DHS Analysis Finds That 287(g) Program Is a Big, Fat Flop
American Immigration Lawyers Association: 287(g) Just Doesn’t Work
Harris County Jail brings in highest number of undocumented inmates
Study Indicates Problems with 287(g) Immigration Program
GAO Report Says 287(g) Illegal Immigration Program Lacks Key Internal Controls’
Delegation and Divergence: 287(g) State and Local Immigration Enforcement
The Costs and Consequences of Local Immigration Enforcement in North Carolina Communities
Houston Public Media – Advocates Urge Harris County To Drop Immigration Enforcement Program
Houston Public Media – Judge Emmett Agrees To Get Data On 287(g) Program
Houston Public Media – Texas Lyceum Polls Texans On Immigration, Voter I.D.
Brookings – Prince William County Case Study: Immigrants, Politics, and Local Response in Suburban Washington
The 287g Program The Costs and Consequences of Local Immigration Enforcement in North Carolina Communities